Circus For Grown-Ups

Are y’all about done with testing?

I am.

We just had two weeks of AP tests right on the heels of the High-Stakes State Tests for AYP and everything.

We pulled out all the stops. Everything was up-ended. Learning was on holiday. But it smelled good. During the state tests we served bacon and eggs and waffles to everybody, every morning. There were prizes and pizza parties for coming in on time. Administrators dressed up in funny costumes and said silly things during announcements. Slogans and signage assaulted the senses. We had a pep rally for the state tests and another one for the AP tests. These were sad, sad events.

What this school has done to the pep rally is simply criminal. I’ve been to a number of pep rallies in my day. They all sort of suck. But this last one was just too much. It was to pump everybody up for the AP tests. (Background: My school gets a big award every year and a write-up in the paper because it forces hundreds of kids to take AP tests who have no chance of passing AP tests. NO CHANCE. HUNDREDS. I do not exaggerate. The key is that the award is based just on the number of kids who we force to take the tests, not the number who pass. So we can’t lose. We threaten kids for weeks that their poor immigrant parents will have to pay $87 if they don’t show up for the test. It’s fucking pathetic.)

But it doesn’t matter how sad or transparent it is. The kids won’t notice. And if they do…well, the bottom line is that we have to do every little suck-up thing we can think of to induce, cajole, convince, bribe, trick or otherwise push, needle or connive students into taking these AP and state tests seriously. Especially the state tests.

Seriously.

Fuck…OK…listen kids. We don’t know what you know and we don’t even care much. But please, PLEASE just try on these fucking tests. What? No…this won’t go on your transcript or be reported to the college you are not going to. Why? Shit…do you want some eggs? Bacon? How about a chance to win an Ipod? Yeah…there’s a good boy! So…you’re gonna give it all you got now, right?

C’mon…OK…what if we said that we know how you feel and it doesn’t make any sense to us either?

No. This is an opportunity for you to demonstrate what you have learned and all that you know. Don’t you want to show everybody how smart you are? I know you do. Let’s make our school shine!!! You are SO good!! Yeah!!!

What? No. I already said that. It’s not exactly going to go on your transcript. And it’s not for a class or anything….but that doesn’t mean it’s not important! What’s important is always doing your best! Right!? Plus, we know you’re poor. Nobody has $87 at your house, am I right?

You don’t get it, do you? Don’t you understand?!?!? This is how we prove we are good people!!

Sorry…was that creepy?

What if I put the funny wig back on? Huh? Would that help? I’ll do it. Just say the word, chief. And remember the process of elimination strategies from your test-prep class. Think about that. I’m going to get you some more juice. Then I’ll get the wig back on and do a funny dance for you.

Jesus Christ, kid…we all need this. Can you please just try to come on time this week and do your very bestest? Great!

And on and on. The point is the sadness I feel when I see an organization that is supposed to serve children go to unparalleled effort and expense making a collective ass out of itself for the two things that matter least to children and most to adults. In particular, one adult.

58 Responses to Circus For Grown-Ups

1. William says:

Love this post!

2. jobbahobaawobbasobba says:

Your school is a case study in why high stakes testing is a VERY bad idea. If only it could be publicly exposed for the sham it is.

Yeah, but many people would think that this kind of hype is a great idea and anyone who disagrees would be accused of supporting the status quo, not caring about kids, anti-learning, and pro-union dupery.

3. mandm040 says:

Now in our state our testing is tied into graduating.

Actually, kids are taking the testing more seriously…but good God…so many weeks of this crap, when there could be more actual teaching/learning going on!

• Utz, The Crab Chip says:

Ours is tied to graduating too, but you get something like 7-9 chances to pass the test, and if you still don’t pass, you can to “alternate” projects, where you basically sit in a room and copy the answers of a worksheet from the teacher, and if you still can’t manage that, you can get a SPED exception.

To recap, the state spends millions to create tests to validate graduation, then spends millions more to make sure that these tests don’t actually keep anyone from graduating.

4. graycie says:

The school I recently retired from also shoved unqualified kids into AP courses to get the big write up and stuff . . . we were actually mentioned in Newsweek magazine as one of the best schools in the nation for the number of AP exams taken. Last year this school had a 56% graduation rate. It’s criminal . . . or should be . . .

5. Pogue says:

Hilariously…depressing.

6. Tracy says:

Too funny…..The only teacher we ever had that actually had kids PASS the AP exam in economics left due to the constant “Unsatisfactory” observations. LOL He is now happy at another school. Go Figure.

7. knows better says:

That is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever read…and the saddest, too.

8. I grade AP exams in the summer and it is obvious when the student is being forced to take the test. Sometimes they just write letters to us, the graders, sometimes they draw us pictures. They know they’ve been conned. There are teachers at my school who use the scores on the end-of-year tests as a semester test grade. I can’t imagine recording a grade for a test that I didn’t compose, that I wasn’t even allowed to see. We’re conning ourselves, too. We have no pep rallies for our kids, and the poor things still actually try.

• EBear says:

Speaking of, next year in the state of GA, kids End-Of-Course Tests will count 20% of their final grade. A non-teacher (just a professional something) devises the tests and teachers are not allowed to look at them (because we might give the kids the answers). :(

• crazedmummy says:

Oh come on, how could teachers possibly come up with the answers ? (this is sarcasm, in case you feel underappreciated today)

9. Rebekah says:

Our end of grade tests began last week and will continue through this week. Then the poor kids who don’t pass will have a week of “remediation”- I won’t even comment on that! Then the retakes start up through the end of the year. It gripes me to no end that we are losing a whole month of teaching for this, and no one seems to think there is anything wrong with this?!?!?!? Yet we’ll get the administrator lecture about “teaching right up to the end.” Hypocritical!

Thanks for posting this now. I needed this as I enter the “valley of the shadow of stupidity” this week. I’m sick to my stomach, scared to death, and disgusted all at the same time. A couple years ago, a kid got sick from nerves, vomited all over their desk (and the test booklet and bubble sheet of course)… you might not believe this, but for real- the teacher got written up as it was a misadministration.

• gilda says:

Your post is reminiscent of our summer school remediation for students who fail the state test. At the cut years (grades 3, 5, 8, 10) if you don’t pass the test, you are required to attend summer school. Because we can’t afford to run actual summer schools, we have “packet” summer school. Once school ends in June, the student signs for, and receives, a remediation packet. Sixteen days later, they take a retest. Yes, that was a 16. So you can actually achieve a passing grade for the year (36 weeks) if you take a test after doing “packet” work for 16 days-it counts as original credit. Oh–to add insult to injury, core subject teachers have to design the packet for their subject. Can it get any more insane? P-l-e-a-s-e don’t answer that question……..

10. kathymp says:

I was thinking of what I could add to this discussion, but everyone before me seems to have said it all. The only thing I have to add is that we were told in Thursday that the marking period is ending the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, with grades due the Tuesday we get back. The electronic grading form will not be sent out to us until the Friday, so we essentially HAVE to do the grades over the holiday weekend since we will get the “EGG” (Electronic Grade Generator) in our email on Friday afternoon, and it is due back by noon, Tuesday. And then we all pretend the crap we do from then until June 28 actually means something when the kids have decided that they can stop even pretending to do anything, since tests are over, and the teachers know that as well, but have to keep up the appearance of giving a shit. I say we all just say “Screw it” and hit the beach a few weeks early.

11. crazedmummy says:

I wish I knew why the kids still play along. I wish I could get them all to foment rebellion and not come en masse. Why are they spending all this time on Facebook if they are not organizing a revolution? I really don’t need them to take a test at all to tell me what they know. The only reason for the kids to take a test is because nobody believes me. I haven’t yet figured out why it’s okay to give me 300 students to teach, but I can’t be relied upon to issue any true statements.

• Simone says:

I have encouraged my students( esp this year) to revolt in mass numbers. I tried to tell them that many of the major movements ( Civil Rights, Women’s, Obama election) were spurred by young HS and college aged kids. They could do the same with this whole standardized testing thing. But of course they follow like sheep and so do I.

12. gilda says:

This post and the replies to it hit so close to home. Beautifully stated.
    To add insult to injury the past three weeks, we have had to endure a block schedule for testing–are you ready for why? To eliminate hall noise. Rather than just ask the kids to be cooperative and quiet, the adminiweenies have locked the whole building of 900 down so 300 can test each day. Pathetic. Until the past few years, we’ve been fortunate that our kids would play along with us and do as we asked without much trouble. Over the past few years, however, the admin has had their collective heads in the sand and refuse to see/acknowedge/admit that the behavior of the kids is out of control and the building is falling down around our collectives rumps. So the reaction is to schedule them for 2 hour classes for eleven days instead of the just the two on which they test. Guess what hasn’t happened? Learning or teaching. Instead we have begging, cajoling and threatenting for work the 1st hour for the pathetic reward of a video the second hour. I am so ashamed to be a part of this that I am retiring with several good teaching years still in me. Just can’t take all the idiotic inititives coming from the ed deform movement. Just can’t. It’s time to go.

Gilda, I understand. I probably could teach a few more years, but at this point, why fight it? I have had enough….We have tested for 4 weeks when we start school tomorrow. The seniors in Physics will have End of Course Field Tests in the morning on Thursday, then start their final exams for periods 5,6,7 after lunch. I can just about imagine how they are going to do on their regular finals after a 3 hour physics test.
      It’s time to go……

• gilda says:

Thanks Sean. I hope your Seniors can find it in their hearts to dig down. They may surprise you-that’s what’s kept me going the last few years through the nonsense–the kids can really pull it out when you need them to.

OMG The Valley of the Shadow of Stupidity This has got to be the best thing that I have heard all day–maybe all week. Thank you for a very apt name for the “Time of Testing.”

It being Sunday and all, I have been inspired to use that Valley thingie to create my own version of the 23rd Psalm. My apologies to all who will be offended. I am alrweady going to Hell, so, here goes:

The test is upon us; I shall teach no more.

The test maketh me lie—the test maketh us all lie, at one time or another. The test leadeth us to partake in cheap snacks and to participate in cheap tricks.

The test stealeth the souls of student and teacher alike, and leadeth us all into the paths of desperation for its sake alone.

Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Stupidity, I am not fearless: I fear retribution, disappointment, condemnation, and economic downfall. The carrot is before us; the rod shall follow; and the staff is comforted not at all.

The PTA preparest a table full of goodies; the administration anointest the head of any who succeed; yet, many may fail. My cup of good scotch runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me for a couple more days—until the test results are returned, and then the shit shall hitteth the fan. And, it may come to pass that I shall dwell no more in this house of learning.

15. Outoftheclassroom says:

Ah! In Florida, they have found a way around mass enrollment in AP as praiseworthy. Our school grades and soon pay and job security are linked not only to the number of students taking the test, but to how many pass the test. 50% of our evaluations are based on student achievement on high stakes tests, because clearly we are the only factors affecting said student achievement. The correlation between what one learns in PE definitely directly affects reading achievement and music/ band also directly teaches math! I held this strange hope that the EOC’s would improve the situation because they at least test what is taught, but your comments would lead me to think not. Sad, sad as I leave the classroom, I realize just how much I’m going to miss my kids. Again, sad, sad…

16. mark says:

I teach AP because my program grew and we needed the next level, and my Super told me to teach AP. I hate AP. It takes the heart and soul out of teaching and learning. Here are some ‘thrilling’ stats for you:
    1. College Board spends almost $800,000 a year in lobbying. do you see a connection “standardized tests” and teacher “accountability”?
    2. College Board gross profit: $55 mil. 137% above the industry average. CB has a surplus worth 70% of it’s revenue. A profitable “non-profit”.
    3. The CEO make $830K. Double the money of the US president.
    These are 2007 figures, BTW.

• Utz, The Crab Chip says:

CB also routinely uses school personnel, facilities and materials (at taxpayer expense) to administer the tests at greatly reduced cost to them

• Mr. J says:

They also make quite a bit of $$$ off “Springboard”, which is their scripted, bullshit Language Arts/English curriculum, available for grades 6 – 12 (the more years the more $$$). “Springboard” features a colorless workbook with half-assed instructions and very few quality readings (with a few exceptions, to be fair)… It’s just a matter of time before they invade other curriculums (actually, I think there’s a Springboard for Math, too)…

Are you kidding me??? Do you mean that it is all about the money? This is incredible.

18. M'liss says:

I thought I taught at the only school asinine enough to do a pep rally for the end of year testing, but apparently I was mistaken! This year our new (and blessedly competent) administrator did away with the spring pep rally, much to the teacher’s relief. The last thing you need in the crunch time before a test is more lost teaching time so you can traipse to the gym with your students and watch some knucklehead in the school mascot careen around the room.
    Our testing period is just getting revved up, and my students don’t take their biology exam until the very end of May. But don’t worry, that still leaves 3 weeks for me to fill, which I get to use to teach Family Life Education, or sex ed. What a treat. Up until their freshman year students are separated by gender for FLE lessons, but now that they are in MY class I get to teach these mentally exhausted little hormone factories about girl parts and boy parts while they sit mere inches from each other.

19. Mr. J says:

I read somewhere (and I regrettably do not remember where) that Finland, a country whose students -according to international standardized testing- outperform U.S. students by a great deal, uses standardized testing very sparingly (only a few times over the course of a student’s school years… something like that). If this is true, then why are we pushing kids to take more fucking tests, multiple times a year? (Actually, I think Mark already answered that one)…

20. Cupcake says:

The state testing circus is why I, as a public school teacher, have my children in private high schools.

Is 24/7 test prep the worst thing kids have ever endured? No.
    Are my children now in a racially and economically diverse environment? No.
    Are they taught by better teachers? No.
    Will the new mostly-white, mostly-affluent school make them more aware citizens? No.
    Are they now surrounded by the only thing worse than mouth-breathing slackers (entitled rich kids)? Yes.
    Would we prefer to use that tuition money for really cool vacations? Yes.

But I still couldn’t do it to my own kids.
    I would rather work 10 extra years to offset what we’ve spent on private school just to spare my children the ridiculousness that test prep has become.

If more public school parents saw what their kids went thru, they’d freak freaking out. It would be the end of the testing companies.

In my state, for example, the state test is untimed.
    What a great idea.
    So in my underperforming urban district, NO ONE is allowed to read or draw after they complete that day’s test. Nothing to do but go back over that stupid test.

This means that the kids who worked hard all year and so finish the test quickly and easily ARE FORCED TO SIT LIKE PRISONERS UNTIL THE LAST KID IS FINISHED.
    This can go for HOURS.

It’s so wrong.
    I hope there is a special level of Hell for anyone who financially prospered off of standardized tests (other than the ITBS).
    But instead of sitting there for hours waiting for the kid who slept all morning to finish testing (we’re not supposed to wake them up–could affect their testing accuracy), the adults in Hell would get a decade for every dollar they made.

The only thing that would keep me from telling my principal where to stick it if he asked me to participate in a TESTING pep rally (my God, what have we come to?) would literally be my own children’s tuition bill. For that, I’d wear a wig and shake my booty.

• gilda says:

This is a new low. Pond scum sucking low. How dare they treat the kids who really tried –and finished–like so much hay in a stack? And I suppose if you, as the proctor, let them read, or draw, you lose your job and license to teach? How truly disturbing.

• crazedmummy says:

I’m pretty certain that’s why they invented bathrooms. I have personally witnessed students leave for bathroom breaks and not return for a few hours. I have wondered whether to send dogs with little brandy barrels. Sometimes when they come back (?) I send them to the nurse just in case there is something wrong. We have a nice nurse who can have them wait for a good while for “observation”, feed them an orange in case they are low on fuel (and you know how long it takes to peel a school orange), and generally provide a background as to why students may have had to leave the detesting room.

• laffy 1024 says:

Ask some of your pupils parents about the phenomenon we in the PTA’s (those of us who aren’t bribed with pizza and free babysitting) like to call “catering to the lowest common denominator. “

• Simone says:

In my district, we ( teacher/proctors) are not allowed to sit down at all while we are proctoring the 3 hr (sometimes more than 3 hr) test.

• OlliOlli says:

You must live in Texas…this sounds like the TAKS test. I had a kid intentionally not finish so the other kids couldn’t do anything.

21. Tracy says:

The more I read these posts and witness what goes on in my school, I know I must make some changes……leaving my school will do no good as the fuckery is so wide spread…I no longer tell kids that teaching is a good career choice. I actually talked one out of it recently.

I do not know Cupcake–but the promise of that wig and that booty thing indicates how much she (I am assuming she) is willing to do to protect her own kids from the craziness that some of us are forced to put other peoples’ children through. I am telling y’all again. One of the better things about this Teachbad site is that it makes me realize that it could be worse–much worse–at my own school–for me and the kids. Phew!

23. Cupcake says:

Here’s a couple of other testing tidbits:
    -Teachers in my district are expected to confiscate every cell phone on testing day. We are to be highly suspicious of any student who says they don’t have a phone on them OR IT’S OUR ASS. One teacher asked if we are now the TSA or something. Do we frisk them? Pat them down? Profile them? I suspect that’s coming. Don’t say I didn’t give you the heads up.
    -Our scores are so important that the weak among us allow themselves to be belittled and bullied into tutoring afterschool and on Saturdays. But on testing day, the admins allowed the hallway floors to be buffed bc visitors were coming. Not. distracting. at. all.
    -My students were shocked to learn that colleges don’t care what score you make on the state test. In fact, I told them, private school kids don’t even take the state test. Private school kids don’t even know about the state test. Yes, I was breeding dissent.

@Miss Crabtree–Yes, I am a female! Will Shake Booty At Testing Pep Rally In Order To Spare My Own Offspring is my unofficial motto.

Honestly, though, here’s what I have found to be way more effective: I tell the kids, “Look, I won’t retain you if you fail this state test, but I might just wear a bikini to school if more than 10% of you fail it.”
    Now, I’m not overweight at all, but the look of HORROR that passes over my students’ faces shows that I have hit motivational paydirt.
    And then I say, “Don’t call my bluff on this one. It won’t end well for you.”
    They nod silently.

24. miss m. says:

Today while it was pouring rain and flash flood warnings were posted and kids were silently repeating to themselves, “Are we getting out early? Are we getting out early?”, the corporationfoundation that controls The Tests lost control of its website. Kids were kicked out of the test. They couldn’t be restarted. But they couldn’t leave the room UNTIL THE TEST IS FINISHED. But, they couldn’t take the test, because the megabillion corporationfoundation’s website was experiencing technical difficulties. The kids sat there, silent, compliant, in front of their computers, stomachs rumbling since it was way past lunch, staring at the rain. The entire school was in a state of suspended animation waiting for the testing company to fix the website. And not one kid said, “Fuck this. I’m going home.” We all sat there. Staring. Waiting for the corporationfoundation to get its act together. Waiting for someone to announce school would let out early to save us. Nope. Better to risk a bus in rushing water than a school-wide testing irregularity (caused by the testing corporationfoundation). So, it’s come to this: Circus then compliant silence. And not one teacher said, “Fuck this. I’m going home.” Are we all just learning to be patient prisoners, rationalizing the absurd? I’m beginning to understand why these kids are so fascinated by zombies.

25. Teaching (for now) Mommy says:

As I read this, I don’t know what to say… I teach at an elementary school and it is just pitiful. I’ve taught in a state where kids had ALL DAY to complete state testing with nothing to do afterward but read or sleep. READ or SLEEP at a desk for HOURS!! And these are 8-11 year olds!!! Now I teach a charter school in another state. Test pressure isn’t as bad, but there are more tests. Now we just finished a week of state tests, then district testing, and now our “special” assessments for being a charter school. Oooh yeah. And, while most of my kids really do well, I have a few “special friends” who haven’t cared all year and don’t care much now either.

Oooh and did I mention that I, too, now teach in the great state of FL where 40-50% of my meager (and smaller-than-the-average-public-school) salary will soon be based on how well these little darlings do in this ONE week. I really am now in it for the summers off with my own little ones. What more is left???

26. kathymp says:

I was helping batch the state tests today and happened to see the answer to one of the last questions on the 8th grade test. The question had something to do with the area of a circle if a part is removed and the student’s response was, and I quote:

“I don’t give a fuck.”

The end.

• laffy 1024 says:

This testing fiasco was the one reason I almost kept my kid out of school for the entire testing extravaganza. The principal (we just call her “Beige”) was completely ignorant of my child’s name UNTIL I informed them he would be gone for a day of testing. WOW. I knew my kid was smart and well behaved-one of the reasons she never knew his name-but the extreme concern over his missing the test was astonishing. One of my friends who was a teacher told me that the teacher is basically rated by the score of the class and that the “smart” kids or even the ones who can sit still and keep their hands to themselves are a boon for the teachers. I liked this poor woman. She took over his class after November (the other teacher had a breakdown) and this sweet, caring, enthusiastic, woman took over for her (they told her she’s be ther til”they found a true replacement” for the teacher-she’s still there-how rewarding. He was there for all five days because he wanted to see how he did on these tests. I don’t know about some parents-but most of us really are behind teachers and will back them up as far as disciplinary procedures. The testing seems to only benefit the overpaid administrators. An earlier post said something about a meeting with jumping on different colored squares-someone was paid over 100K a year to devise such guff. In the previously mentioned school the staff had to make a paper chain to signify that they were bound to the students success. I think being paid scrap and taking daily abuse while having all benefits whittled away shows it better-but the Post and the like won’t publish those articles.

• UtzTheCrabChip says:

I collected a test today (I proctored for 104 kids with one other teacher), and for every question his answer was “Fuck This Test”

It “got good” today. We had an internet failure for the new Physics EOC Field Test. Literally couldn’t take the new “online” exam. The physics teacher had a melt down. I do not know what they are going to do……and I do not care……
    I retire in 7 days. 7 days…I have never been in Vermont in the Fall. I think my wife and I are going this year…I’ll think about ya’ll in October.

• gilda says:

Sean-
      We’re on the same timeline. I’m doing islands off the coast of Maine in late September. I plan to enjoy and savor eavery single moment of NOT being in school-enjoy your trip!

28. mrteachbad says:

Dear Sean-

Must you constantly gloat about your impending retirement? You bastard.

No…I’m only kidding. It sounds like you have earned your stripes. Enjoy all that comes next…and remember us. The blind leading the naked to the rubric.

Peace, TB

29. Tracy says:

I am so jealous of Sean…I can’t stand it!

The NY Times released an article yesterday that NYS is doing away with January Regents exams. This means:
    an extra week of teaching
    fewer chances for the failing kids to take exams; thus wreaking havoc on graduation rates.
    The article also highlighted how 40% of teacher evals will now be based on said state exams, yet NYS is considering dropping some exams altogether.
    I find this interesting. If the tests fail to exists does that mean the highest grade I can get is 60%? Will it now be my fault the state dropped the exams? What if I don’t teach the course that culminates in an exam? How will they ever know if I am a good teacher? Stay tuned for the answers to these questions…..

Sorry folks, the countdown is the only thing keeping me sane at this point….I still have a “biggy” to pull off in the next week. I have help plan and pull-off a high school graduation. The ONLY positive thing about it is I don’t have to listen to a parent gripe afterwards about some trivial matter afterwards.
      I think for the first time in my career, once I get the kids walking, I am slipping out the back of the auditorium during the ceremony, never to be seem again. 8-0

• laffy 1024 says:

Sean,
        I hope to god that it is a highschool graduation you have to help with and not some 8th grade, 5th grade, or god help us kindergarten graduation (although they’re the cutest). I do remember one of the dads at my kids 5th grade graduation bitching to someone about lack of parking of all things. Mind you this is a neighborhood public elementary and he had to drive a whole 3 blocks. The principal of course tried to get everyone to shut up for , I kid you not, 32 minutes by repeating “Excuse me everyone, please quiet down so that we can begin the ceremony.” breathlessly into the microphone sounding like Jennifer Tilly on a porn hotline. At this point my mother growled at 4 people in front of us and 3 behind us to “Shut the fuck up so that you can see your kid finally pass fifth grade.” I thought I’d die of embarassment, but guess who was more effective? Anyway, Sean thanks for fighting the good fight for years and congrats on retirement. Know that some kids and their parents will miss you and the ones that won’t weren’t and can’t pay attention anyway.

30. There’s also the Bartleby Project:

31. Pingback: Dallas Schools Rank High on Washington Post List - Page 2 - City-Data Forum

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

During the summer, I worked hard to learn to make jaded, cynical, satirical animations about schools, administrators, teaching, tests, edreform, and all of the other silly bullshit stuff that has befallen our kids and teachers.

This is my plan. This is my goal. I wonder if my school district would offer training in this for summer PD? That would be too cool.

33. DoGoodAnyway says:

Wow, your school is over the top. But I can relate to much of what you said–the silly charade, and desperateness of the whole thing. Makes me sick to my stomach. Let’s stay on the train, though, and see ourselves out of this terrible scene.

34. Suzy says:

How did our esteemed profession (and I truly mean that) come to this? In my state the smartypants legislators just passed a bill ending “social promotion” at 3rd grade, based on the student’s score on the reading portion of the state test. Meaning that an 8 year old child’s performance on ONE test of 60 questions given on ONE day could actually mean that child would fail 3rd grade. Makes. Me. Sick. And scares the ****out of me.